Thursday, September 13, 2018

Why R U OK? Day is Problematic...Hear Me Out!



It's suicide prevention month, it's such a vitally important month worldwide, Suicide and it's prevention is one of the most important conversations we can have worldwide.

In Australia, one of the front-runners in the suicide conversation is R U OK? the company that has produce a vital campaign called R U OK? Day it has been a day that is changing the conversation of Mental Health and has been in a plight to do so for almost 10 years. but if I am honest, there's something about it that just gets under my skin. not about the campaign, but about peoples attitude toward it. In this post, I am going to talk about my issues with R U OK? day and what I think we can do to continue to make a positive difference in the conversation around Mental Health.



What is R U OK? Day? 

In Australia, Mental Illness is a huge issue, 65,000+ people attempt suicide, in Australia every year with about 2500 being lost to suicide, in Australia alone. Suicide is a huge issue here just as it is worldwide.
R U OK? day is a campaign that was started in 2009 by Gavin Larkin and Janina Nearn after Gavin lost his father ended his life by way of suicide. It was started to create a conversation about suicide and mental health.

What's the problem?

R U OK? is an amazing company that does amazing things.
I support the initiative, the company is well run and well resourced, but the campaign has become extremely anecdotal. It's a sentence say for a couple of days every September but the majority of the general public then go on to forget about it until the next September. If you're only asking your friends or family if they're okay once a year, honestly you're not the greatest of supporters.
I am not debating the company or the message, because to a point it has been a successful campaign I think the campaign needs to grow a little.

What Should We Do?

The world is changing. It's companies and campaigns like R U OK? and 320Changes Direction are changing the conversation and fighting the stigma that is being had and held in the Mental Health arena. But like anything else, change is slow. 
I think it's time to take it to the next level. I think we should have an R U OK? day every month, make it something that people are constantly being reminded about, constantly being forced to think about, not once a year or so. 
The only place someone has ever asked me R U OK? on R U OK? day was while I was going through a drive-thru, I was, but I would have liked to have stopped and had a conversation what that person, instead of being asked and rushed off in order for the next person could get their order fulfilled, I wonder how that young girl would have reacted if I said no? How is asking this question day a year preparing people for that? 
Let's change it from 'R U OK? day'  to 'R U OK? Everyday'


Note: I'm not slamming suicide prevention, I am upset that things like this have become tokenistic jokes once a year rather than a meaningful conversation. 

If you are not doing OK reach out to me under the same namabsolutelyey everywhere, I will listen, I will do my best to ease your mind. 

Or

Check out these resources below







No comments: